In this blog, I plan to share the experiences that I have as a gardener and nursery owner in Zone 5. We only get one growing season at a time, so let's make the most of it.

Search This Blog

2.05.2010

The Witch Hazels are Blooming!

Hot off the presses.  Heavy snow is falling right now, but the witch hazels are blooming.  Hamamelis intermedia 'Aphrodite' is definitely in bloom now.  A quick check in my nursery stock revealed that Pallida, Superba, and Girard's Purple are also in bloom.  It was too cold to check for fragrance.  I did make the trek back into the woods to check on native Hamamelis for bloom.  None was found, but it may still be a bit early for them.  It was a nice walk anyway.  If you are in the market for witch hazel, I do have four to choose from.  They are nice size plants in 5 gallon pots and they are blooming!
 
Hamamelis intermedia 'Aphrodite'
  
Hamamelis intermedia 'Girard's Purple'
  
Hamamelis intermedia 'Pallida'

Hamamelis mollis 'Superba' looks suspiciously like the 'Aphrodite', but they have their labels.

1 comment:

  1. Native in my yard is still in hiding, Feb 5, but since it snowing like mad, don't blame it at all!

    ReplyDelete